Executive Director - Strategy, Planning and Communications
STFC Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire or Polaris House, Swindon
Salary – approaching £100k for the right candidate
Full time / Flexible hours considered
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest multidisciplinary research organisations. Our research seeks to understand the Universe from the largest astronomical scales to the tiniest constituents of matter, yet creates impact on a very tangible, human scale. From cancer treatment to airport security, high-tech jobs to hydrogen powered cars, energy generations to accident scene emergency care, and our impact is felt across and beyond the UK in many aspects of daily life.
We operate on a global scale: all our programmes have international partners and we employ some of the world’s most talented people from 50 different countries – all who operate at the frontiers of advanced science, engineering and technology. Our recently published Strategic Context document explores the opportunities ahead and considers how to build on our tradition of developing and exploiting world-leading research facilities, our world-class Frontier Science programme and our two Research and Innovation Campuses that are delivering business growth and high-value jobs. These three long-term, strategic programmes are tied together and underpinned by a number of important technology centres and capabilities that are critical for the delivery of our mission; some of these are run at our laboratory sites and some are delivered by valued University partners.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
About The Role
We now have an exceptional opportunity for a highly talented and inspirational leader to join STFC as Executive Director of the Strategy, Planning and Communications (SPC) directorate.
SPC plays a critical role in helping STFC shape, communicate and deliver its national and international strategic agenda. Working as a member of our Executive Board, you will provide visible leadership and play a key role in creating the strategic direction of the organisation, developing the supportive strategic narrative and sharing consistent messages and plans to achieve implementation. There will be many aspects to this, such as progressing our Strategic Delivery Plan within UKRI, developing our cross organisational science strategies, inputting to national and international science policy developments and securing the Government resources necessary to deliver our mission.
You will have overall responsibility for development of STFC’s Strategic Delivery Plan, developing coherent and supportive communications, delivering an integrated approach to STFC’s national and international engagement activities and report on STFC’s impact and successes. You will also play a key role in nurturing our relationships with key stakeholders and building strong support for our strategic objectives.
The role can be primarily based at either the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory at the Harwell Campus in Oxfordshire, or at our Head Office in Swindon, but will require significant travel between both sites, as well as travel to other STFC sites, and elsewhere as required.
- Leadership of strategy, planning management and communications for STFC – working closely with the Strategy Directorate of UKRI - so that these areas are mutually consistent and promote a visible ‘golden thread’ to run across them and throughout the working of STFC and UKRI.
- Ensuring that the objectives and outputs in all areas of STFC’s Strategic Delivery Plan make a tangible contribution to the strategic themes that underpin our activity.
- Leading on the development, implementation and management of STFC’s approach to stakeholder management, strategic partnerships and international engagement by honing, articulating and reinforcing our approach and proposition to key decision makers and influencers. Provide excellent leadership of the Strategy, Planning and Communications Directorate and highest level management of its staff at 4 sites, and direct line management of 4 senior staff.
- Delivery of sound financial, safety and risk management of the Directorate. The resource allocation involved is 52 staff, a £4m budget and a £50k asset base.
- Development and delivery of the evidence base needed to demonstrate impact from STFC’s activities, both as an ongoing activity and in preparation for regular spending reviews
- Leadership of the scientific advisory structure to Council and support for the Executive Chair in his/her role as UKRI champion for major projects and infrastructure.
- Providing strategic oversight of STFC’s portfolio of major projects and programmes
- Leading on strengthening successful relationships with key national and international government sponsors and organisations to positively influence their support and decision making with regard to STFC and its objectives.
- As a Member of the Executive Board, sharing corporate accountability for the delivery of our Vision, Strategy and Strategic Delivery Plan ensuring effective governance and continuous improvement of STFC’s overall performance; taking a visible leadership role in the development of future corporate strategy, policy and plans to optimise delivery of UKRI and STFC’s objectives, plus overseeing the development and effective implementation of our Strategic Delivery Plan.
- Working in close collaboration with other Executive Directors to provide strategic support to drive our people performance and continuously improve infrastructure standards to achieve our objectives and UKRI’s transformation agenda.
- Leading on behalf of the Executive Chair on the development of the Executive Board’s plans to meet STFC’s strategic objectives, monitor and continuously improve organisational performance.
- Acting as the principal thinker, driver and advisor in areas within the strategy, planning and communications portfolio, leading STFC’s preparations for the Comprehensive Spending, Triennial and other Reviews on behalf of the Executive Chair.
- Representing STFC on UKRI Strategy Committee.
- Demonstrating and model personal commitment to UKRI and STFC’s vision, values and strategic objectives, promoting UKRI and STFC’s achievements at every opportunity and in appropriate arenas at national, regional and local levels.
- Championing equality, diversity and inclusion principles, ensuing that they are integrated into all aspects of our business.
- Working with the other Executive Directors to strengthen STFC’s strategic relationships.
- Providing key interfaces with the centre of UKRI, BEIS and other government bodies for STFC.
- You will be educated to degree level in a STEM or Business discipline, with a post graduate qualification or significant equivalent experience, and relevant professional membership desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- You will be a natural strategic thinker, with extensive senior management experience and a track record of making a substantial strategic contribution to the success of an organisation, its corporate planning and decision making.
- You will display sufficient understanding of the science and technology across STFC to enable effective oversight of your portfolio and contribute to strategy development – experience of working in fast-paced science and technology environment will be a distinct advantage, as will experience of working in or closely with the public sector.
- You will be an inspirational leader with experience of successfully developing high performing teams, with a focus on achievement and continuous improvement.
- You will display first class communication and interpersonal skills that you use to build relationships, work in teams and collaborations and establish excellent stakeholder relations. You will use your natural communication skills to influence, inspire and align others behind STFC’s strategy and objectives.
STFC offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, flexible working hours, a workplace nursery, exceptional pension scheme and social and sporting activities and societies. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Applicants must include a CV and cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
To apply please email Matt Jones, STFC Recruitment Manager, at Matt.Jones@stfc.ac.uk. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1235 445942.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 11th November 2018 with interviews scheduled for Friday 30th November 2018