STFC is one of nine Councils within UK Research and Innovation, an organisation that brings together the UK’s Research Councils, Innovate UK and Research England. Our Privacy Notice, which describes how STFC and other UK Research and Innovation Councils handle personal data can be accessed on the UKRI website.
STFC may collect personal information from you via this website, for example, if you register with us for services, in order to receive news and announcements, or when applying for jobs, and your information may be stored manually or electronically.
When we provide services, we want to make them easy, useful and reliable. This sometimes involves placing small amounts of information on your device, for example, computer or mobile phone. These include small files known as cookies. They cannot be used to identify you personally.
These pieces of information are used to improve services for you through, for example:
- enabling a service to recognise your device so you don`t have to give the same information during one task,
- recognising that you have already given a username and password so you don`t need to enter it for every web page requested,
- measuring how many people are using services, so they can be made easier to use and that there is enough capacity to ensure they are fast.
For more information on cookies, and how to delete and control them visit AllAboutCookies.org.
Cookies for measuring website usage
We use Google Analytics to collect information about how people use this site. We do this to make sure it’s meeting its users’ needs and to understand how we could do it better.
Google Analytics sets cookies to help us accurately estimate the number of visitors to the website and volumes of usage. This is to ensure that the website is available when you want it and to help us understand what you want to use.
For further details on the cookies set by Google Analytics, please refer to the Google Code website.
Google Analytics cookies
- Purpose: Google Analytics cookie used to distinguishes unique users by assigning a randomly generated number as a client identifier. It is included in each page request
- Expires: 2 Years.
- Purpose: Google Analytics cookie used to throttle the request rate – limiting the collection of data on high traffic sites.
- Expires: 10 Minutes.
Cookies set by other websites through this site
We want to provide interesting and engaging content on our website. On a number of pages we use Google maps and we embed YouTube videos in some pages.
The suppliers of these services may also set cookies on your device when you visit the pages where we have used this type of content. These are known as ‘third-party’ cookies.
Google Maps: NID
- Purpose: Enables traffic analysis to Google Maps.
- Data stored by the cookie: A unique identifier; data only used in aggregate.
- Duration of cookie: Expires after 183 days.
YouTube cookie: VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE
- Purpose: To track visitor views of YouTube videos embedded in our web pages.
- Data stored by cookie: Unique identifier, no personal information (data is only used in aggregate).
- Duration of cookie: Expires after 241 days.
How to control and delete cookies
However, if you wish to restrict or block the cookies which are set by our websites, or indeed any other website, you can do this through your browser settings. The ‘Help’ function within your browser should tell you how.
Alternatively, you may wish to visit the AllAboutCookies.org website, which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of browsers. You will also find details on how to delete cookies from your machine as well as more general information about cookies.
Please be aware that restricting cookies may have an impact upon the functionality of our website.
If you wish to view your cookie code, just click on a cookie to open it. You’ll see a short string of text and numbers. The numbers are your identification card, which can only be seen by the server that gave you the cookie.
For information on how to do this on the browser of your mobile phone you will need to refer to your handset manual.
To opt-out of third-parties collecting any data regarding your interaction on our website, please refer to their websites for further information.