Student life is great, but taking time out to gain experience of the workplace can be both a rewarding and invaluable experience as you choose your path ahead. STFC can offer you the opportunity to make a difference from day one, while earning a competitive salary. Everything we do has an impact globally and our Industrial and Summer placements are no exception.
We can offer an incredibly diverse range of placements in which you will be working alongside world leading engineers, scientists and technicians in highly collaborative environments. Whichever you choose, you’ll become a critical member of the team in which you will be exposed to exciting projects and challenges from the start.
We don’t believe that one size fits all – so we’ll provide challenges that match your ability, and each placement is a unique opportunity to pursue your career interests while developing the skills that will give you a head start once you graduate. You’ll be supported every step of the way by our dedicated Graduate Development Team who will also ensure you benefit from a range of personal development opportunities.
We are open for all of our 2022 Industrial Placement opportunities. You can find the opportunities at the bottom of this page. Summer Placement Opportunities are due live in January 2022.
In order to be eligible for STFC’s Industrial Placement scheme, you should;
• Currently be enrolled on an undergraduate degree course
• Be required or have requested to take a placement year
• Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement
In order to be eligible for STFC’s Summer Placement scheme, you should;
• Be in full time education at university and returning to university following the placement.
• Have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement.
Academic ability and a strong interest in your field is important too, and each vacancy will detail the skills and knowledge we’re looking for. But we’ll also strongly value your drive for excellence and passion for collaboration. With high levels of self-awareness, you’ll bring a clear commitment to your own development and be ready to seek out and grasp new opportunities for both professional and personal growth.
You can explore our vacancies below. Please apply for a maximum of two roles.
Science and Technology:
- 3D Printing Placement – UKATC
- Beam Diagnostics Engineer – Daresbury
- Accelerator Physics – Didcot
- Artemis Ultrafast Laser Scientist – Didcot
- Biological Sample Environment Research – Didcot
- Cosmic Ray Effects on Electronics Physicist/Engineer – Didcot
- Cryogenic Sample Environment Placement – Didcot
- Neutron Single Crystal Instruments Design – Didcot
- Muon and Neutron Applications Detector Development – Didcot
- Deuteration Chemistry – Didcot
- Elemental Analysis Instrumentation Developer – Didcot
- Experimental Science Group Laser Plasma Placement – Didcot
- Gemini Laser Experimental Physicist
- High Repetition Rate Target Delivery Placement – Didcot
- High-Power Laser Development Scientist – Didcot
- In-situ Calorimeter Research Scientist – Didcot
- ISIS Performance Improvement Placement – Didcot
- Materials Characterisation Method Developer – Didcot
- Neutron Diffraction Instrumentation: Design and Optimisation Physicist – Didcot
- Neutron Imaging and Diffraction Development Scientist – Didcot
- Neutron Scattering Instrumentation Development – Didcot
- Nuclear Analysis – Didcot
- Operations with the Octopus facility: imaging protein function DNA damage and the mTOR pathway – Didcot
- Particle Accelerator Physicist – Didcot
- Polarized Neutrons Placement – Didcot
- Raman and Neutron Spectroscopy Research Scientist – Didcot
- Spacecraft Dynamic Testing – Didcot
- Target Fabrication Placement – Didcot
- Target Fabrication Robotics Placement – Didcot
- Ultrafast Laser Scientist – Didcot
- Vulcan High Power Laser Placement – Didcot
Computing, Software Development and IT
- Web Development Software Engineer – Didcot
- Linux Engineering Systems Software Developer – Didcot
- ISIS Experiment Controls Software Developer – Didcot
- Research Software Engineer – Didcot
- Microelectronics Design Methodology Engineer – Didcot
- Research Software Package Development – Didcot
- Controls Web Interfaces Developer – Didcot
- Computational Scientist – Daresbury
- STEM Public Engagement Placement – Didcot
- Science Communications – Didcot
- Science Communications with Website Management – Didcot
- Finance Placement – Didcot
- Developing Online Scientific Training for Neutron and Muon Experiments – Didcot